Work-at-home jobs are becoming a viable source of income for moms, retired professionals, and others who need to supplement their income. The savings incurred by companies who can outsource work of all types has become immeasurable. One of the most sought after positions is in the medical field. Medical transcription jobs at home are not only lucrative, but can afford anyone with the proper skills and background to take full advantage of this unique opportunity.
Here is an example of one particular medical transcription position and its prerequisites:
* Apply knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, and English language rules to the transcription and proofreading of medical dictation from originators with various accents, dialects, and dictation styles.
* Recognize, interpret, and evaluate inconsistencies and inaccuracies in medical dictation; appropriately edit, revise, and clarify them without altering the meaning of the dictation or changing the dictators style.
* Operate Lanier transcription equipment and MS Word as directed to complete assignments.
* Meet quality and productivity standards and deadlines established by employer.
Qualifications would include:
* High School Diploma or equivalent. American Association of Medical Transcription (AAMT) Certification preferred.
* Two years specialty or hospital transcription experience and/or graduate of medical transcription program.
* Medical terminology including anatomy, physiology, and pharmacology.
* Highly productive and accurate keyboarding skills.
* Excellent written and oral communication skills.
* Able to perform sedentary work with continuous use of earphones, keyboard, and foot control.
The cost for the Lanier transcription equipment, including headset and foot pedal, is approximately $75.00 and can be purchased online. Considering the compensation for a job in medical transcription is anywhere from $15.00 to $90.00 an hour, the expenses incurred are minimal. Note: most companies who require this service also mandate you use their specialized equipment since it can only be operated using their software. However, if you are new to this field you can receive MT training and certification via interactive medical transcription training for a fee; but, since the cost is quite high, those actively pursuing this specialized field should have prior experience. Also, there are some companies who not only offer training, but equipment as well.
It is also recommended that once you decide to pursue a career in medical transcription, you check out all of the sites to determine what is required. Since many medical establishments have specific requirements, you can easily check the many online job sites and message boards to view comments by other MT workers. In addition, there are many work-at-home sites directly geared toward moms, and for which they highlight medical transcription jobs on their site while, at the same time, researching the company itself to determine if it is legitimate and trustworthy.
The advantages to working at home are many; however, it is important to ensure that if you do seek a medical transcription job at home, it is one in which you have the experience; knowledge, and ability to work in an environment which is conducive to this type of work. Also be aware when searching for work-at-home positions, you find out as much information as possible about the company and its payment system. All too often, you may come across a medical transcription job which may sound too good to be true; it which case, it probably is.